top of page



Who can refer?

Anyone can refer themselves or a loved one to private speech-language pathology services (if t​hey have consent from legal guardian). Although a physician referral is not required by this practice, some health insurance plans do require a physician referral in order reimburse for the services received. Please check with your individual health insurance provider to inquire if a physician referral is needed for this purpose. 

When should I refer?

A referral would be considered appropriate if you have any concerns regarding communication or swallowing (i.e., speech that is difficult to understand, difficulty understanding directions, trouble getting words out, difficulty interacting with peers, difficulty eating or drinking, etc.). Once a referral is received, a speech,  language, and/or swallowing assessment can be scheduled. The assessment results will provide valuable information about your concerns and will help determine whether speech-language pathology services are recommended. 


What are the costs?

The practice offers an hourly rate. However, service rates may vary depending on the length, type, and location of services. Please contact the practice to obtain more information about rates. 

Are private services covered by health insurance plans?

Many health insurance plans provide coverage for private speech-language pathology services. Usually if services are covered by an insurance policy, there is a maximum annual amount. Please check with your individual health insurance provider to request details pertaining to your specific coverage plan.

Why pay for speech-language pathology services when I can receive free services through the public health care system?

Speech-language pathology public services are available, free of charge, to children and adults in the province. However, some important reasons for considering private services include:

  • There can be lengthy waitlists for people seeking to receive public services. 
  • There are often limitations to the frequency that public services can be offered (i.e., consultation model, block therapy).
  • There can be less flexibility in the timing of appointments within the public system. 
  • There may be less direct one-on-one treatment time offered within the public system. 

People often decide to supplement public services with private services. 

Choosing a Speech-Language Pathologist

What credentials should a private speech-language pathologist have?

Speech-language pathologists in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) must be registered with the Newfoundland and Labrador Council of Health Professionals (NLCHP). Once registered, the speech-language pathologist can use the credentials R.SLP. You can check the NLCHP registry online to ensure the speech-language pathologist you are considering is registered to provide services within the province:

Speech-language pathologists may also be registered on a national level. Many speech-language pathologists in NL also have a clinical credential through the Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) or American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). Both credentials require the successful completion of a national standardized exam. Speech-language pathologists holding this clinical credential can use the designation S-LP (C) or CCC, respectively. 

How do I find and select a private speech-language pathologist?

Talking with other health care professionals (i..e, doctors, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, etc.) can often provide great information about private speech-language pathology services in your area. 

The Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (NLASLPA) website has some great resources to consider when looking for a private speech-language pathologist in the province:

bottom of page